Monday, October 14, 2013

Driver Charged After 3-Year-Old Boy Is Struck, Killed In Queens


A driver has been charged with vehicular manslaughter after police say he hit and killed a 3-year-old boy in Queens.


Police believe Gilbert Echeverria struck and killed Olvin Jahir Figueroa while he was crossing Junction Boulevard with his mother shortly before midnight Friday in Jackson Heights.


Police say Echeverria stopped at the scene and drove both of them to the hospital, where Olvin was pronounced dead and the suspect was arrested.


Figueroa’s mother was treated for leg injuries.


NY1 spoke with the boy’s father, Olvin Umberto Figueroa, through an interpreter.


“There’s really nothing to say, that I’m very hurt, and I don’t have my child with me, and I want my child,” he said through an interpreter.


Figueroa says he brought his family here from Hondurus seven months ago in search of a better life.


“Coming over here just with that hope of having a brighter future for my family, for my child, having to witness this, it’s just,” he said through an interpreter.


“He was just a very happy kid, very playful with everyone else, joyful, I just, I can’t believe this, life is so fragile,” said Jasmine Collado, a family friend.


Echeverria is also charged with criminally negligent homicide and DWI.





NEWS – NY1




http://newyork.greatlocalnews.info/?p=15649

via Great Local News: New York http://newyork.greatlocalnews.info

No comments:

Post a Comment