Monday, October 14, 2013

New rule picks apart KG’s game



Geoff Burke/Geoff Burke-USA TODAY Sports



Kevin Garnett will have do make adjustments to perfect his craft when it comes to setting screens.




PHILADELPHIA — Kevin Garnett calls himself the “best pick-setter in the league,” and it’s tough to argue against a player who doesn’t give an inch while setting screens.


The problem is that the NBA defines much of what Garnett does as illegal, considering his penchant for moving his body into the opponent after setting his feet. The league is using him as a poster-child in its pledge to crack down on such offenses.


Garnett, 37, was the first example of a moving screen in the league’s annual “points of emphasis” video for referees. Last season, the league pledged to emphasize flopping and undercutting jump shooters. This season, illegal picks are a focus.


Garnett understands he’ll have to adjust.


“I figure that the reason they’re putting (me in the video) is because some things are not right,” Garnett said before he was whistled for an illegal screen in the second quarter of Monday night’s 127-97 preseason laugher over the 76ers. “It’s the game. I’m going to have to adjust to the game. I’m no perfect human being. But I do try to master my craft and perfect my craft.


“(Hell) yeah, if it’s something that’s going to determine whether I’m going to play or not, I’m going to have to adjust it.”


RELATED: NETS INSIDER: GETTING FRANK ABOUT DEFENSE


Garnett was hit with a moving screen foul in the 2012 playoffs when he was whistled with 10 seconds left in Game 2 of the Celtics’ Eastern Conference semifinal matchup against the 76ers.


It cost Boston a chance at a potential go-ahead shot.


He has been called for a screen violation in each of the three preseason games with the Nets, although it was hardly consequential Monday night.


The Nets dominated in an empty Wells Fargo Center, with Shaun Livington falling a rebound and two assists short of a triple-double. The Nets didn’t have Deron Williams (ankle), Andrei Kirilenko (back spasms), Paul Pierce (rest) and Jason Terry (knee). Williams and Terry will sit again Tuesday at home against the Celtics.


Garnett, who finished with four points and seven rebounds in 15 minutes, will have his designated rest day Tuesday in the second game of a back-to-back. The 37-year-old said he’s upset about sitting, but not because it’s against his former team.


Garnett, who likes the routine of playing on game days, is begrudgingly accepting Jason Kidd’s plan for long-term preservation.


“It wasn’t my decision. So that’s where I’m going to leave that,” Garnett said. “I’m trying to be as positive as I can. It’s not up to me. I’m being positive and go with the plan that was laid out for me and being positive with that. So I’m trusting Jason and the plan he has for myself. … I just feel like every day you have a chance to better your craft and be part of the group, I’d like to be a part of that.”





NY Daily News- Top Stories




http://newyork.greatlocalnews.info/?p=15693

via Great Local News: New York http://newyork.greatlocalnews.info

No comments:

Post a Comment