Friday, May 30, 2014

Cuomo Signs Bill Preventing Tax Hikes on Sandy Affected Homes


Governor Andrew Cuomo on Thursday signed a bill that will provide tax relief to home owners affected by Hurricane Sandy.


Normally, any repairs or improvements come with a higher tax bill. The new measure protects homeowners from property tax hikes which they would have incurred repairing and improving their homes after Sandy.


Appearing with Mayor Bill de Blasio on Staten Island, the governor presented the law as the right thing to do by the victims of the storm.


“It is infuriating. I mean think – it really is infuriating. I didn’t change my home, I repaired my home because a storm hit my home and now you’re going to penalize me and raise my taxes when I just went through this financially very difficult period?” Cuomo said.


“The old law would’ve forced us to increase their taxes, so double jeopardy. You got hit by a hurricane, now you get hit by a tax increase. Absolutely unacceptable,” De Blasio said.


The event comes at a time when the governor is seeking the endorsement of the Working Families Party, a group that has criticized Cuomo for not being progressive enough.


Many see de Blasio’s support as a way to discredit that viewpoint.





NEWS – NY1




http://ift.tt/1jzyQWZ

via Great Local News: New York http://ift.tt/1iZiLP1

No comments:

Post a Comment