Monday, October 7, 2013

Thousands Pedal In Manhattan For MS Research


Thousands of cyclists rolled out Sunday for the 29th annual Bike MS tour.


Participants ride to raise money for the fight against multiple sclerosis.


Riders choose between routes of 30, 55, and 100 miles around Manhattan and upstate along the Hudson River.


This year’s event was expected to bring in more than $ 3 million.


Event attendees with MS said they were grateful for the support of the crowd, as well as the money, which they hope will develop new treatments and possibly a cure.


“My symptoms change every day,” said one person. “They range from migraines to spasticity, stiffness. All my symptoms are right-sided, and I can be fine in the beginning of the day and then later in the day, I can barely use my hands or move my hands.”


“Fatigue is one of the biggest battles of every day, and the pain in different sections of the body, you never really know. It changes throughout the course of the day, minute to minute, actually.”


“I was amazed that I saw so many people doing this, and it struck me as how many people had it, they know somebody with MS,” said a third.


For more information on how to donate, visit bikems.org.





NEWS – NY1




http://newyork.greatlocalnews.info/?p=15217

via Great Local News: New York http://newyork.greatlocalnews.info

No comments:

Post a Comment