Sunday, September 28, 2014

Derek Jeter Plays Last Game of Career



Derek Jeter played the the final game of his career in Boston.


Jeter’s final hit was the 3,465th of his storied career.


Jeter’s infield single drove in a run in the third inning at Fenway Park.


He was then taken out of the game by manager Joe Girardi for pinch-runner Brian McCann.


Jeter saluted the fans and the Red Sox on his way off the field. He was then mobbed by his own teammates when he got to the visitors dugout.


The Red Sox also held a pre-game ceremony for the retiring Yankees captain. It featured presentations from the team, as well as other Boston sports legends.


The Bombers’ captain played his last game at Yankee Stadium Thursday night, delivering a game-winning hit in the ninth inning in his final at-bat.


Afterwards he reflected on his 20 years in pinstripes and his decision to walk away from the game.


“I still feel as though I could play, but I just don’t want to. I want to call it a career. I’m happy with the way my career has gone. We still have a couple games left in Boston, but I’m extremely happy with how it’s gone. I wouldn’t trade places with anyone who’s ever played this game because this is exactly what I dreamed of doing and everything I’ve been able to do is more than I ever dreamed,” Jeter said.


Jeter walks away from the game as a five-time world series champion and a 14-time All-Star during 20 seasons in pinstripes.





NEWS – NY1




http://ift.tt/1CyG7lW

via Great Local News: New York http://ift.tt/1iZiLP1

No comments:

Post a Comment