Sunday, November 16, 2014

Man Faces Charges After Abused Two-Year-Old Dies


A two-year-old girl is dead after succumbing to injuries she sustained during months of abuse and now her step-father is facing charges.


Thaiya Spruill-Smith was taken off life support Saturday afternoon.


Police say she was rushed to the hospital on Wednesday after her stepfather, David Adams, violently shook her.


It happened at their home in Brownsville, where he lived with Thaiya’s mom.


According to court documents, Adams admitted to the actions. He is now facing reckless assault and child endangerment charges, but those charges could be upgraded.


Police say there was a similar incident last month, when Thaiya was also shaken.


Now, residents are wondering whether authorities could have done more to protect her.


“I’ve been hearing noises so there wasn’t surprised,” one neighbor said.


“I saw maybe three police cars and a couple of DT cars, but I did see them bring the suspect in handcuffs. Like I said, I didn’t know what was going on. I was very upset. I was like, ‘My god, that poor baby was two years old, didn’t have a chance to grow,” said another.


“Thai, she was like the sweetest little girl ever, like you wouldn’t have problems with her ever,” said Shayne Smith, Thaiya’s uncle. “She was very smart—very, very smart.”


In addition to police, the city’s Administration for Child Services is investigating.





NEWS – NY1




http://ift.tt/11fL98U

via Great Local News: New York http://ift.tt/1iZiLP1

No comments:

Post a Comment