Monday, November 10, 2014

Parishioners Lament Church Closure Following Archdiocese Merge Announcement


Some Catholics across the city celebrated mass today with the knowledge that their church will soon be closed. NY1′s Mahsa Saeidi filed this report.


From the best times of her life, to the worst—the passing of her husband—Gladys Valdivieso has turned to her church, St. Ann’s in Norwood in the Bronx.


“My two granddaughters were baptized here, and they went to school here, and so did my grandson,” she says.


Now she’s praying that somehow it will stay open.


“We know that god does miracles, and so we’re looking for a miracle,” Valdivieso says.


This church is one of 112 throughout the New York Archdiocese that will be merged as part of its largest reorganization ever.


“I’m a choir member, and without the church here, I don’t know if I can keep on singing,” one person says.


“Really depressed, upset,” another says.


Next year, St. Ann’s will stop holding regular services. Those will be held at St. Brendan on East 206th Street.


Even though it’s less than a mile away, Gladys and others say getting there won’t be easy.


“I can’t walk real good, you know, and so it’s going to be very hard for me,” she says.


“We’re at the top of the hill. Saint Brendan is at the bottom of the hill, so it’s difficult going down the hill and back up,” says Pastor Francis P. Scanlon.


“Just steps away from a nursing home, and Montefiore Hospital, the pastor says the church serves families in their time of need. Like the parishioners, he too is having a difficult time.


“I’m very sad. I try to give a very strong appearance, but when I’m alone, forget it,” Scanlon says.


Cardinal Timothy Dolan says these difficult changes will allow more resources to be directed toward services including charities, schools, and outreach programs.


Staff at Montefiore are amongst those mourning the close of the church.


“There’s mass here at 7:30. This is perfect for when I go on my break, I’m able to come here,” says one parishioner. “I won’t be able to go to Saint Brendan.”


Gladys Valdivieso, meanwhile, is hoping there’s some way to keep St. Ann’s running the way it has for decades.


“I hope that we are able to have a voice, to say that, no, we don’t want this to go away,” she says.





NEWS – NY1




http://ift.tt/10Kxqqs

via Great Local News: New York http://ift.tt/1iZiLP1

No comments:

Post a Comment