Friday, November 14, 2014

Gas Fire Sends Flames Shooting Up Through Ground in Queens


A gas fire sent flames shooting up through the ground in Queens Thursday.


The New York City Fire Department said it responded to reports of a fire under the sidewalk.


Con Edison was on the scene in Astoria soon after and shut down the gas on the block.


The company said five houses were evacuated, but it’s not sure how many will be affected by the gas shutoff.


Resident said they’re glad everyone is OK.


“I came home, I seen there was flames coming out of the ground, the light post had smoke coming out of it, and then all the emergency vehicles started showing up,” said one resident.


“Couple of explosions, but not very serious. Just the contact the water with the gas,” said another.


“I’m a little stressed out because I don’t even have a flashlight and we have no power. Although I’m happy I think everyone’s safe. I don’t think there was any injuries or anything like that,” said a third.


Con Ed is still investigating the cause of the fire.





NEWS – NY1




http://ift.tt/1u9HrYQ

via Great Local News: New York http://ift.tt/1iZiLP1

No comments:

Post a Comment